Prevent Breast Cancer is the only UK charity entirely dedicated to PREDICTING and PREVENTING breast cancer
Prevent Breast Cancer supports and continues to raise money for a variety of different research projects concerned with breast cancer prediction and prevention.
Our overall goal is to make breast cancer a preventable disease for the next generation of women.
We do not fund animal experiments.
We do not fund chemotherapy development.
Our mission is to create a future free from breast cancer and make the 1 in 10 women who develop the disease, none in 10.
OUR SPECIFIC AIMS
- To predict which women are most susceptible to breast cancer.
- To diagnose the disease early through better and earlier detection methods.
- To research and develop preventative procedures for the disease.
- To increase the uptake of breast screening in minority ethnic groups.
- To identify women as high, medium or low risk through gene, lifestyle and breast density testing
- To undertake further research into high risk genes and gene fragments (SNPs)
- To offer diet and lifestyle interventions to those deemed high-risk
- To increase the frequency of screening for high-risk women
- To improve diagnosis and treatment of pre-cancer changes
- To develop preventative drugs for appropriate patients
- To introduce lifestyle change to prevent the disease
- To provide more accurate breast screening tools
- To raise awareness of the disease in minority ethnic communities
Links and resources
NHS Change for Life (campaign to improve family health) http://www.nhs.uk/Change4Life/Pages/change-for-life.aspx
NHS Live Well (includes couch to 5K stuff) http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/Pages/Livewellhub.aspx
British Heart Foundation: http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/prevention.aspx
Diabetes UK: www.diabetes.org.uk
Cancer Research UK: www.canceresearchuk.org
Arthritis Care: www.arthritiscare.org.uk/
Weight wise British Dietetic Association: http://www.bdaweightwise.com/
Weight Concern: http://www.weightconcern.org.uk/
National Obesity Forum: http://www.nationalobesityforum.org.uk/
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute guidelines on weight management Identification, Evaluation, Treatment of Overweight and
British Heart Foundation National Centre for Physical Activity and Health: http://www.bhfactive.org.uk/links/
Walking the way to health: http://www.whi.org.uk/
Walking for health: www.walkingforhealth.org.uk/
Ramblers Association: www.ramblers.org.uk/
Instant Heart Rate